Tuesday, October 28, 2008

FOURTH HEART BIOPSY TODAY

Wow what a day! It began at 6:30AM this morning. Checked into the heart carth lab for my fourth heart biopsy. Finally at 9:00am they brought me in for the biopsy. Of course, I was dry today and they had a hard time getting into my vein, which took a little longer. I don't know where the happy medium is when it comes to being too wet or too dry. After heart biopsy I went to get chest x rays, lab and then off to clinic to see the doctor. Dr. Neisme did a echo cardiogram and my ejection fraction on my heart was 65. This is great! No fluid on the heart and she was so happy how well the heart is functioning. After clinic, I went to infusion for two hours for the very strong rejection drug called Daclizumab. Then it was off to Stanford to meet with Dr. Shrier, Stanford Amyloidosis doctor who will be treating me for the disease.

Dr. Shrier was very nice and held my hand the whole time he discussed treatment for the Amyloidosis. The bottom line, is if the chemo does not work, which he says they have had much success, then I will be faced with the decision to have a bone marrow transplant. This is way down the road and a decision I will have to make later. He is starting me on the chemo drug
Dexamethazone now and the other drugs in a month. He said it is too soon and I need to recover from the heart transplant first. I need to do more test, of course, so he can decide the full treatment plan. I know this is not going to be easy but I have no choice. I must put the disease in remission.

My wish tonight is for everyone to please say your prayers for a good biopsy result (NER or even a 1R). Doctor said I will be able to go home on Thursday, October 30th, if the result is good. That will be wonderful! I 'm really looking forward to going home. So, I will let you know tomorrow once the results are in.

I know it doesn't need to be mentioned, but when I do come home, I will need to get plenty of rest. Also, I am still very fragile and cannot be around alot of people because of the risk of getting sick. So, I want everyone to know that I love and miss them this past month but please call first and if I'm not up to visitors don't be upset. I have been given a second chance of life and I will be here for a long long time.

Have a wonderful evening and say a little prayer for good results.

love,
debbie

3 comments:

Tamara said...

Hi Debbie,
That is all great news.
Yes, you do need to heal properly before you start more potent drugs. You know our prayers are with you all the time. Well, if you got out of the hospital in record time I have a feeling you'll get out of the hotel in record time also.
Being home is really no different than being in the hotel just a different place with all of the same rules.
Call me when you are feeling up to it.

Love,
Tami

P.S. How is Kevin, do you know?
I've been reading his blog but noticed he or Barbie have not been around lately. Maybe just too tired after the wedding?

Anonymous said...

Hi Cuz,
Just wanted to let you know I'm praying for you...it would be wonderful for you to be able to go home this week. Oh I hope and pray for good results...let us know.
Luv you,
Maria

Anonymous said...

What no Chinese food Monday Night.... My wishes and hopes are for you Sissy. I feel you will be home next week.

I love you and I'll call you later today.
Love Me your lil sis