Saturday, October 4, 2008

Another Moment in Time Came!

On Thursday, September 25th at 8:45pm I was on the phone with Mark saying goodnight. My hospital room phone kept ringing. I told Mark to hold on because someone really wants to talk. I picked up the phone and it was Dr. Dana Weisshaar. She asked how I was feeling and I told her great! She then said in a special way "Well how would you feel if I take you off dopomine"? I started to get concerned but asked her why take me off now.

The Moment was Here:

She said because "I have the most beautiful perfect heart for you waiting at Stanford". The ambulance will be there at 11:30 pm to get you.

I couldn't believe a new heart came to me in 4 days. God bless my donor and the family.

Mark was so excited. You'll have to ask him about what happen next.

I quickly called my cousin Maria Bartlett who came down to the hospital to pack up my suitcases and away I went at midnight to Stanford Medical Center.

The next 19 hours we sat in limbo waiting for the decision to go.

My donor, what I have been told, was a Male 19 yrs old from Vacaville. I don't know how he passed but these details and my desire to meet his family will be another moment in time.

My donor was a multiple donor which can create problems when harvesting several organs. Each transplant team wants the organs as quickly as possible. My heart surgeon said it is very difficult keeping a donor on life support and maintain good function to all organs. That is what was happening during these long 19 hours. The heart functions was not acceptable and they did not want to accept unless it was "Perfect". He said we have to wait! ! I was so afraid that they would say no and go back to the hospital after going so far but if that was God's wish then I would accept it.

At 4:00 pm the phone in ICU rang and my nurse Iris answered to hear "It was a go for 6:30 PM". My dearest family and friends were all there to support me.

I want at this special moment in time to express my deepest love and appreciation to Gary & Debbie Looney. They provided hotel rooms, food, and love and support to Mark, Mom and my family. I can never find the most appropriate words to let them know how much I love and care for them.

The time passed and I kept praying "I'm not afraid" "I want this". At 8:00pm I was taken to the operating room for surgery. I remember only a few minutes talking to Dr. Toby before the mask came down and I was asleep.

I was still asleep but family and friends said I was out at 3:00am. Of course I spent the hour slowly waking up from the operation. I don't remember much, only what everyone is telling me.
I have quickly recovered and feel great!!

No comments: