Monday, May 25, 2009

Tomorrow is the Day

Should I say "D" day? Tomorrow I will be admitted to Stanford to begin the stem cell transplant. I remember the day I left to be admitted to Kaiser waiting for the heart transplant. It was such a joyous day. I had friends at the house all day visiting and sharing precious moments. I wasn't afraid but felt this glow inside my body. I knew I was going to be healthy and fine. That was September 21, 2008 and then on September 26, 2008, my new shared heart was beating inside me. My life changed forever that day!

First of all, I have great gratitude to my donor, Jazmin and her family. Evelyn, you are a special lady and a great support to me. You have opened your arms and heart to me. I feel your love each day. I love my little sisters, Jessika, Ashanti and Angelina so very much. Thank you for being here for me.

And now my gratitude goes out to all the doctors, nurses, social workers, coordinators with Kaiser and Stanford, who have helped me through this difficult process. I would not be here today without their skillful hands and minds.

My deepest love and gratitude to all of my family, friends, fellow heart transplant recipients and Amyloidosis support group friends for all the prayers and thoughts. I have a positive attitude because all of you would not have it any other way. When I feel down, you would pick me up and show me how precious life is. I have the inner strength because of each and every one of you.

Yesterday was one of those difficult days. I watched my youngest son's face sadden as he watch me cry. I knew then I had to get out of it and stop feeling sorry for myself but feel happiness that I have a choice. That I have options, where others don't. Today has been a great day. I went to breakfast (my favorite) with Gary and Debbie. Tonight they are taking me to the coast for dinner. We are leaving soon to see the sun set on the ocean. Maxwell even said this afternoon that I could have ran a marathon because I was in a better mood today.

Mark and I were going to stay at cousin Maria's tonight but her son Phillip got sick last night. I can't take the chance on getting sick so we had to cancel. I know she was very disappointed but she understood. She will come and visit with me in the hospital I'm sure.

So tomorrow I will call Unit E1 at Stanford early in the morning to see if they have a bed for me and then we will drive to Stanford. First thing I'm asking for is the lunch and dinner menu. I can't go without food. Tomorrow will be first day of chemo so who knows if I will be able to eat. We will have to wait and see.

Have a wonderful evening. Enjoy each and every moment.

Love,
Debbie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Sissy,

I hope you have your laptop with you to read all this. I wanted to come and I called several times but you were busy, which is fine. I ended up myself getting some kind of throat and nose cold on sunday so the last thing I wanted to do is come there. Today I am all stuffed up.

I love you and everything will be great. You will Breeze throught this too like everything eles. You are strong and this is just a small obstical to like everything eles. I will call today to see how you are. but I wont come see you until I am better too.

So just think of Lake County and how beautiful your trailor is and how beatiful the grass is and how quite it is up here. How when you look up in the ski you can touch the stars. And how clean the air is. Think of that I do everyday.

I love you and can't wait to see you.

Love me your baby sis