Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Time is Coming

Two days and counting until I am admitted to Stanford for the stem cell transplant. I met with Dr. Areria on Friday for last minute lab work, chest x ray and consultation before the procedure. She was so happy how quickly I collected the necessary amount of stem cells and how my body reacted to the growth hormone drug Nuepogen. She said that once my stem cells are infused back into my body they will give me the drug Nuepogen which she feels will help to increase my white blood cell count faster. My white blood cell count during the 5 days I took the shot Nuepogen was at 8 the first day and 49 on day 5. I hope my white blood cell count increases that fast after transplant because I will begin to feel better faster. Zoe went over all the details of the transplant including side effects. Not that I didn't know the side effects and risks. I'm ready to go!

Tomorrow is Sunday and Mom and I have some shopping to do for Rachel's (brother Joey's finace) bridal shower next weekend. I won't be able to go and I want to get her gift before I leave. I'm hoping I will be home and able to attend the wedding on June 27th. If all goes well I will attend the ceremony but not the reception. I won't be able to take my mask off, eat or drink and it's not a good idea to be around so many people that soon after transplant. I want to see the ceremony and then I will go home. I don't have far to go because he is getting married at my friend Anita's backyard around the corner from my house. I can drive the golf cart over and back. Rachel is a wonderful person inside and out. She makes my brother happy. I haven't seen him so happy for a long time. I wish them much love and happiness as they begin their new lives together!

I will pack my suitcases tomorrow for the hospital and apartment. I need to pack for both places since I won't be going home after the transplant and straight to the apartment. I don't want Mark and Mom to worry about packing for me. Also, I hope I won't be at the apartment too long. Dr. Kevin was released to go home after only 6 days leaving the hospital. That's what I want.

I am waiting up for Maxwell to get home from visiting Shane and Ernie, his coaches, in Sacramento. I hate worrying about these boys. But that's a Mom's job!

Have a wonderful Sunday. Enjoy every moment!

Love,
Debbie

3 comments:

Tony said...

Hi Debbie,

Hang in there, you're going to make it!
Loved that poem, we all need to slow down and enjoy life to the fullest!
I'll check the patient list for E1
next Thursday when I make my rounds at SMC, and would love to stop by and say be encouraged and be blessed!
Saying HD(heavy duty) prayers for you and keeping you in positive thoughts for a perfect stem cell transplant!

Blessings,

Tony
(Amyloidosis Support Group)

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie:

Been thinking about you alot. I wanted to wish you the very best with the stem cell. You know all our prayers will be with you. I hope it all goes well. Just think in a few days you'll have this behind you and feeling like your old self. I LOve You.

Always'

Auntie Mary Joan

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
This is cousin Denise (auntie Mary Joan's) I just wanted to tell you that i read your blogs all the time and I think good thoughts for you every day. You are such a courageous person and my thoughts are always with you. Hope all goes well.
Love Denise