Wednesday, November 19, 2008

STORY TELLING

i was thinking about Italy, actually Sicily today, and my conversation last weekend with
Kathy Dolinsek.

Kathy and her mom just spent 12 days in Sicily. She and her mom did not do the typical tourist thing, they immerse in the culture. Spent time with the people in the little cafes in the villages all through Sicily. It was interesting to hear her talk about the country and how it has not become commericalized like Roma and Florence. They enjoyed their time together and I'm sure there were many, many moments in time that took their breaths away.

That happen to me 3 years old when I had the opportunity to visit Sicily and a little fishing village called Santa Elia where my dad's mom was raised. But before I talk about my trip, how did this come to past?

It started in 1913, when my great grandfather and his brothers were fishing on the San Francisco bay (this is what movies are made of). As they were fishing, a fish and game warden, came aboard their boat and accused them of using illegal nets to fish with. A fight broke out and one brother was killed, the other was shot in the hand and my great grandfather struck the fish and game warden with an oar and knocked him into the bay. He died. My great grandfather fled back to Sicily. The one brother served time in San Quentein. And the story goes!

My great grandfather came back to Sicily and married a 15 year old girl and had six children with her. My grandmother and her sister were old enough to be left with family in the United States and he began a new life in Sicily (my greatgrandmother died in the 1906 earthquake). Yes, from time to time he would sneak back to the US (the interrupter we hired thought maybe there was some Mafia stuff going on, HAHA) and attend one daughter's wedding and avoid being arrested.

Several years ago, some of my consins decided to research Nana Salvato's family and could not figure out what happen to her dad. Well, as the story goes, they found a whole family living in Santa Elia, Sicily. Consin Mike Salvato and Donna visited first and three years ago, Debbie, Gary, Mark and I went to Sicily. I was able to meet three of the six children. I was in the house my grandmother was born in. The feeling is unspeakable. Let me tell you how many moments that took my breath away that day. I cried, they cried, we all cried. Family - Una Familgia. On my slide show are the pictures of the family. Please see them. I promised the granddaughter that when I came back to Sicily I would "parlare italiano" (speak Italian). That is my goal!
Although I have to tell you at 51 years old learning a second language is tuff, but my passion is to speak. I hope to visit in 2 years and speak fluently to my family. This was a moment in time that I will never forget!

A special thanks to Kathy also. While staying in Sicily she purchased a charm, which I am wearing ever since. The charm is the "3 legged women" Sicily's mascot on the flag. It represent the three regions of Sicily. It is called the "trinacria". The special part of all of this is that Kathy waiting 2 hours at the Vatican in Roma for the Pope to bless my charm. I will always cherish it. Another moment that took my breath away when she told me. As I watched her eyes and mine fill up with tears, I realized how that moment took her breath away too!

In closing, I have lots of time to think about things and one thing I want each of you to ask yourself "what do you value in your life"? I'm realizing what matters to me. It's how many moments I can have that take my breath away! It's dreaming about going back to Sicily, going to Paris, to Washington D.C., seeing my first grandchild be born, spending time watching the Shark game with my son Mark each week since I have been home, and many, many more things. Don't want to be sentimental but when an illness strikes so suddenly, we are lucky to have these moments to reflect. I'm grateful I have this moment. God bless my donor and her family for giving me this moment in time.

Love,
debbie





1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Sissy your not fare I'm sitting at my desk crying!!!

I wish I could have been there with you in Nana's house what a wonderful moment. She loved us kids so much we were her babies, we were everything to her. I miss her everyday and every time I go to the cemetary I bring her flowers and tell her how great your doing and how much we love her and miss her. I know she was with you that day. Your friends are pretty amazing sis it just shows what a wonderful person you are. We are blessed by our family and our friends. Next time you go to Sicily you can drop me out of the airplain over New York and I'll wait for you!!!

I love you
Sissy Mary
:)