Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A DAY TO BE THANKFUL

This Thanksgiving we have alot to be thankful for. I just received my call from the Heart Transplant Center letting me know the results of the biopsy. It was a 1R/1A which means slight rejection. No change in medicines and everything is ok. I feel wonderful except for the fourth day after taking Decadron and my body starts to ache and feel sore. If that's all I have to deal with I will take it. I have been riding my stationary bike 30 minutes each day and would like to start some ball squats. So my energy level on some days is high and others after I take the Decadron is low. I took the drug today so I expect to start feeling crummy on Saturday and Sunday.

I also met with Dr. Shrier at Stanford yesterday. My Lamba Light Chain for Amyloid was high at 206. That was a little disappointing but he felt confident that the second chemo drug Valcade will work to lower the count. This drug is administered by infusion and to be honest I didn't hear how many times a week because I want to do the treatment at Kaiser in Santa Rosa. I also do not want to do anything that will hurt my shared heart without the direction of the Heart Transplant Team at Kaiser. So when they called today I told them that Stanford wants me to start Valcade now. The coordinator said she would pass the message on to Dr. Dana and they (Stanford & Kaiser) will talk and let me know. I was thinking I would start in January but he thinks because the count is so high - why wait. I agree but only if it will not cause problems with my new shared heart. So I will wait for further instructions from Kaiser.

Tomorrow I will spend the day with my family - Mark, Matthew, Markie, Erin, my Mom and Sissy Mary and Britney. We have planned a wonderful dinner. Thanksgiving has always been my most favorite holiday. I don't really care much for Christmas. Too much about buying and not spending quality time with the ones we love. I feel this year that will change. Maxwell will be coming home (finally) on December 17th until the 26th. I'm so excited to see him and spend time with him. So for us Christmas will be different this year!!!

Take a moment today and ask yourself this question - What am I thankful for in my life today? For me it was that moment in time on September 26, 2008, sometime in the middle of the night, when my diseased heart was removed from my body and my new healthy shared heart starting beating inside me. That is what I am thankful for!! I am grateful to a beautiful family, somewhere out there, who gave me a second chance to live. My thoughts and prayers are with them each and everyday. I pray God gives them strength and hope someday I can tell them personally how grateful I am.

Have wonderful Thanksgiving!

love,
Debbie






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie, I want to wish you a very happy and beautiful Thanksgiving Day with your family. Please say hello to everyone for me, and please know that I think of you each and every day. Your blogs are so beautiful and meaningful and I cherish reading them every day. Although I don't comment on each one, know that there is another person out there (I am sure there are many) that truly enjoys hearing what comes from your heart. Celebrating your 51st birthday must have also been incredibly wonderful for you. You are a woman of beauty and love and my love is sent to you each day in my thoughts and prayers. I know your inner strength has been tested more than the average person will have to experience in life.
Happy Birthday and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Tons of love and hugs,

Barbara Lynch Samarati

Anonymous said...

Hi Sissy,
I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
I love you and I will see you next weekend or during the week I have Gnocchi's In made them. and they taste wonderful.

Love you me