Sunday, January 4, 2009

Special Moments

This weekend was a time for special moments. I think about the word "family" and what does that mean. Family doesn't always mean your immediate family. I am very lucky to say I have a wonderful immediate family which includes many, many (Italian) aunts, uncles and cousins. Also, included in my life, which I refer to as family, is the hockey families. I will never forget the wonderful memories I have with them.


Saturday night was a time to reflect on those memories. Mark and I attended Zach and Tory's engagement party at Tory's parent's house. We had so much fun! We got to visit with all of the boys and the hockey moms and dads. The funny thing is that they are not boys anymore. Most are married and some even have kids. Time does go by fast. What I would do now, to roll time back, to those days of traveling in the middle of the night to Las Vegas for a hockey tournament, watching my son Mark's team win the State Championship for Midget A, spending every weekend either in a cold ice rink or roller hockey rink. I wouldn't have changed a moment! Spending time yesterday with Rob and Marion, Terri and Joe, Dave and Darlene, Kathy and Marty, Doug and Sharon and Warren meant so much to me. We laughed and joked about all the wonderful times we had. I know that those moments spent with our kids made them what they are today. I am so blessed to have shared such beautiful moments.


Today is Sunday and I spent 4 hours visiting with Uncle Jake, Aunt Jeannie, Cousin Tammy, Joel and Anthony. Mom, Sissy Mary and I went to Tammy's house to see Uncle and Aunt Jeannie. Auntie Jeannie has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer and is being treated here in Santa Rosa. They have not seen me since my heart transplant and it was important for me to see them. I brought the pictures of the family in Sicily to share with Uncle. He had not seen the pictures of his mother's home in Sicily or the aunt and uncles who still live in the home there. Three years ago Mark and I went to Sicily to visit the family. They did not know I was coming and greeted us with open arms. It was a very emotional moment. I have the pictures of that meeting on my slide show. The thought of being in the home that my grandmother was born in and meeting her half brothers and sister was definitely a moment that took my breath away. Uncle Jake was so moved by the pictures he kept saying to me today, "Before I die I want to go to Sicily". It brought tears to my eyes. It reminded me of the first time I went to Italy. I took my Mom on that trip and we were in Portovenerne. I remember sitting in a plaza looking at the people and realizing they all looked like me, Italian. It was awesome! I want Uncle Jake and Aunt Jeannie to share that moment! Today was such a memorable day because I was able to share such special moments with my Uncle, Aunt and cousins. This is what family is all about! I am so lucky to have such a large family filled with uncles, aunts and cousins (1st cousins all the way down to 4th & 5th, I think). I told Uncle Jake, as soon as the doctors give me the ok to travel, I plan to visit Sicily again. This is my hope and dream!


So family can mean uncles, aunts and cousins, hockey moms, dads and kids or even close friends, who have been in your life for many years or just came into your life moments ago. You are a rich person to have a family!


This coming week I have my first chemo treatment of Valcade on Friday. I will let everyone know how it goes. I anticipate the side effects, according to Dr. Kevin Anderson, should be the same as what I'm experiencing now with Decadron. I am not supposed to lose hair and all that other nasty stuff associated with chemo. Valcade is a mild chemo and the side effects include tingling of fingers and toes, swelling and soreness. But each person is different, so I have to wait. No matter what, it is what it is and I have to do it! It will save my life!


Wishing you a wonderful week. Go out and make memories that take your breath away! I made quite a few this weekend!


Love,
Debbie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come tell us what you want to do before you die:

www.beforeidieiwantto.org

click on the "submit" button. Hope to see your photo in our PO box!