Friday, January 2, 2009

The Journey Begins

When I started this blog in October I never wanted to use the word "journey". I thought a "moment in time" meant something. I felt this was just a "moment in time" and I will get through it. Things have changed and I realize now that a "moment in time" was receiving my beautiful strong heart but "the journey begins" to fight the disease Amyloidosis.


The journey will begin next Friday at 9:00AM, when I will start the chemo drug Valcade. This drug is administered intravenously with a push. I will continue the drug Decadron with this new chemo drug for 4 weeks and then take a break off both drugs for 2 weeks. The cycle repeats for 4-6 months. Each month the doctors will test my blood to determine the Kappa and Badda Light Chain count to see if the numbers are decreasing. I took blood tests today and will know next week what my count for a baseline will be. The last count was done on 11-14-08 and was at 206. To be considered in remission this number needs to be 19 or lower. So I have a long way to go. I pray the chemo drug therapy will work because the next treatment involves a stem cell transplant. I have said it before, this is not my favorite choice but I will do it to save my life.


Dr. Kevin Anderson has just finished his first cycle of Valcade and Decadron. The side effects are very similar to Decadron but at a higher level of intensity. There are many other side effects and the doctors say each person will experience those side effects differently. Dr. Kevin said so far hasn't been too bad but as the cycles increase and the drug builds up this could change. I will have to look at this as a journey and take it one step at a time. So the journey begins!


I don't have to many plans this weekend except getting nails done and hair dyed tomorrow. Zach Brown and Tori Puentes are engaged and are having an engagement party tomorrow. It will be fun to see all the kids and parents from hockey. Zach and Markie played ice and roller hockey together for many years since they were 12. I have alot of great memories traveling everywhere in my mini van from one ice rink to the next roller rink to play hockey. My most favorite memory is how all of us Moms would meet to exchange pictures and scrapbook together. We were very close and still are! Those moments will always take my breath away!


Mark and Matthew leave on Thursday to visit Maxwell in Canada. I'm so jealous cause I would love to go and see Maxwell play hockey. They are going to have so much fun!


I hope everyone had a safe and joyous New Years. My wish is for 2009 to bring happiness, health and prosperity to all. Especially enjoy those special moments in time that take your breath away!


Don't forget those special prayers especially for my donor family. They are always on my mind and I wouldn't be here to begin this journey if it wasn't for their gift of life. They gave me a second chance of life to begin this journey. I will always be grateful!

Love,
Debbie

No comments: