Monday, January 12, 2009

Million Dollar Girl's Weekend

The weekend was worth a MILLION dollars!!! Tippi and I had so much fun. On Saturday we went to the coast for lunch. Pictures say a thousand words! It was a wonderful drive out to the coast and the weather was terrific! We stayed home that night and just relaxed. I was a little tired from our day and the chemo treatment I had on Friday. We talked all weekend long! I really enjoyed the long talks we had. It is so comforting to have someone to talk to about the heart transplant and what we are going through. Scott picked Tippi up and I missed her when she left.


Doug and Lynn Rackerby came to visit after Tippi left. It was so nice to see both of them. Lynn works in the same department with Dr. Sandy Warren, my cardiologist in Santa Rosa. He is a wonderful man who kept telling me he would get to the bottom of what was causing my heart to fail. He was, along with Dr. Kevin Castello, who diagnosed my disease, Amyloidosis. What I mean is that they knew something was wrong and kept pushing until we knew for sure it was Amyloidosis. Dr. Warren referred me to Dr. Dana Weisshaar in Santa Clara who performed the heart biopsy which showed Amyloid in my heart. Thank god for these doctors!! Lynn has been such a support to me also. There were a few times I didn't understand a lab result or test and she was there to help me understand. Thank you for being there for me, Lynn!


Nana is staying with me until Mark comes home on Wednesday. She is making "Joe Special" tonight for dinner. YUMMMM!!! I'm so lucky to have my Mom here with me!!! I don't know how I would have made it! We are going to watch "The Bachelor" at 8:00PM and hopefully I won't fall asleep before its over. Last week I fell asleep and on Saturday when they did a repeat of the show I fell asleep AGAIN!! So tonight I'm staying up!


Tomorrow will be a busy day! Gary, Debbie, Mom and I are going to support group at Santa Clara Heart Transplant Center. I'm so excited to see all my heart transplant friends. They make me so happy! After the meeting I will be seeing Dr. Shrier at Stanford. Debbie is looking forward to meeting him and asking questions. She has been up to date on my disease since the beginning and I'm counting on her to ask questions that I have been afraid to ask. She writes notes and I can go to her later for the answer to a question. That is so helpful because sometimes I am in denial or just don't want to hear what is being said. That is FEAR! I know one thing and that is I'm feeling great right now and I feel I have my life back again. I can drive and do a few more things each day. The next treatment if the chemo doesn't work will be a stem cell transplant. As I have said before, that is nasty! It involves 30 days in the hospital, massive chemo and radiation. I'm not ready for that yet but if the doctors say my life depends on it then I will do it. I'm hoping Dr. Shrier will give me the 4-6 months we talked about. Until then I will fight this disease with my chemo treatments and it will not get me!!! I'm Italian!!! A fighter!!!


I'll post pictures of Tippi and I at the coast after this posting. Make memories each day that take your breath away. I enjoyed making memories with Tippi and love her as a sister!


love,
Debbie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To Jaz's family. I just met Debbie in August of 2008 and I feel like I have known her forever. I can talk to her about anything and dont feel embarassed.
She is one of the nicest people I have ever met. I know nothing will ever replace your Jaz but just know that her heart went to the perfect woman :)
When you meet Debbie you will understand what I am saying!

I pray for your family often
may God bless you and
R.I.P. Jaz

Tippi

Anonymous said...

Hello Sissy,

I see you guys had so much fun. Perfect weather you couldn't ask for better. I am happy your are getting out and having fun.

Can't wait for our slumber party I just emailed Sonia back and we are planning it for the 30th. So you better be ready. I can't wait. It is like meeting a new friend for life. She is so sweet and I can't wait to meet her in person.

It is going to be a good day today for all of us too. We are going to spend time with Grams and Wendy, and I'll be home tonight so I will call you tomorrow. School tonight.

I love you.
Me

P.S.
I ordered you and Tippi your shirts today.