Thursday, May 10, 2012

Update on New Chemo Treatment

Spoke with Dr. Akhtar yesterday.  He has ordered the new chemo treatment Cytoxan for Tuesday.  I did get some good news.  I only take it for 5 days a month and then off for 3 weeks.  I will be still taking the Dexadron and Velcade every week but that was good news.  He did say the side effects did include hair loss, so next week I'm going to start cutting the hair shorter and shorter.  I think I'm going to go with the Halley Berry look first.  It should take about 4-6 weeks to lose the hair entirely he said.  The other issue is bladder problems.  The chemo drug really puts alot of stress on the kidneys, so they will be monitoring my kidneys along with all blood work.  Dr. Dana called and said that she wants a special immune system blood test done after each treatment because it reduces your immune system and so does Cellcept that I take 2,000 mg a day for the heart transplant.  She said if the immune system goes down too low, she will reduce my intake of Cellcept to 1,000 mg.  Wow this is so much to handle.  My everyday life is maintaining my body and just trying to feel good.  That means physically, mentally and emotionally.

I hope and pray if you are reading this post that you STOP and really look at your life.  Where are you going?  How do you spend those precious moments?  Life is not all about what we gather but what we scatter!  Go out and make a difference in your life and someone else's.  Remember "Every Moment is a Gift"!

Today I get to spend precious moments with my little grand daughter, Hailey.  I enjoy every moment I spend with my grandchildren.

Have a wonderful day!
Love,
Debbie

No comments: