Thursday, April 2, 2009

Dr. Kevin Anderson is Doing Great!!!

Dr. Kevin called me last night and I was so happy to talk to him. He is doing awesome. If some of you don't know, Dr. Kevin just completed a bone marrow transplant which I will start in May. He said he feels healthy but still very fatigue. He is so thankful to have been able to complete this next step towards recovery and complete response of the disease Amyloidosis.

Dr. Kevin has been my "Rock". He has gone ahead of me and set the path for me and others to receive heart transplants and now stem cell transplants for the disease Amyloidosis. Standford had not done a heart transplant on an Amyloidosis patient for over 20 years until Dr. Kevin had his transplant on 8-15-08. I was the second on 9-26-08. There are others waiting in the wings to receive a heart next. Then last month Dr. Kevin became the first heart transplant patient to receive a stem cell transplant with a heart transplant at Stanford under the direction of the Mayo Clinic. The Mayo Clinic has successfully completed over 20 such procedures. So thank you Dr. Kevin for the courage you have to be the one to pave the way for us to become healthy and enjoy our new normal lives.

Dr. Kevin is a devoted doctor and what I admire most about him is his way to explain things in a clear precise process that we can understand. Dr. Kevin went over all the tests and procedures I will be faced with this coming month. We talked about the stem cell transplant and what I will be faced with as to complications, if any. He reassured me that not everyone will experience the same complications. I felt so good talking to him and wish I was done and over with the procedure. I know the next few weeks will go extremely quick and I welcome it.

Mom will again be my caregiver for this next step of my recovery. She has been so strong and caring. I don't know what I would have done without her. I know it is not easy to care for an ill patient but she did a terrific job when I went through the heart transplant and I know she will do great during the stem cell transplant. Things will be different than the heart transplant as to food preparation and things I can and cannot do. First all water must be boiled, no uncooked food such as salads, raw vegetables and fresh fruit, all food must be cooked or processed. I will not be able to help cook any meals, as a matter of fact, I can't even enter the kitchen during my apartment stay. I have decided to rent a corporate apartment during our stay in Palo Alto. Last time we had a studio and it was small. I decided for about a small amount more, we could have a 5 star corporate apartment 2 bedroom, 2 bath. It is beautiful! Once discharged from the hospital, I have daily appointments at Stanford for 4 hours a day. At this time, Mom will be able to do errands and shopping because I am not allowed to do that either. Very different than the heart transplant. The risk is infection. I appreciate and love my Mom for all she has done for me during this time of my life. I love her so very much!

Dr. Kevin made several suggestions I am going to follow before entering the hospital on May 26th to begin the stem cell transplant. He suggested to begin eating the microbial menu (no raw food etc.) and to stay away from as many people as possible especially kids to prevent the risk of infection. He developed pneumonia and that was very risky. As all know I had pneumonia two months ago, so I really have to been careful. I think these are great suggestions and I will follow them. My goal is to recovery during 2009 and be healthy in 2010. I want to travel to Italy again next year, go back to work, enjoy the things I have put off doing.

I have complete confidence in my doctors at Stanford to care for me during the stem cell transplant. I will keep providing updates on my blog during every step of the process.

Have a wonderful day! Enjoy every moment in time. What I am going through is just a moment in time. It will pass and I will fight this and emerge healthy!

love,
Debbie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cuz,
What a great man and friend. I'm glad Dr Kevin is in your life and able to share so much with you to help you and us understand so much about all of these things. God bless both your mom and Dr Kevin, they are invaluable in this very important time of your life. I miss you.
Love Maria

Anonymous said...

Well Sis that is good. Because by the way my externship is going I might be there permatly. YEAH!! ! !
that is great news for me.
So you take everthing that Dr. Kev is giving you, it is great advice. He's been through it so he should know right.

Love you
Me