Friday, April 24, 2009

What A Week!!

Finally finished all the require blood, bone marrow biopsy and heart biopsy this week. What a week it was! I have never been poked, prodded or cut as much as I have this week.

Next week is an easy one just an echo on Tuesday. I like doing echo because I get to see my beautiful shared heart working so strong inside me. My beautiful angel Jazmin is making sure that my heart is pumping strong. Getting another NER three months in a row is awesome!! I am so blessed.

I just looked up all my results from the blood tests taken yesterday and everything looks pretty good. I have a meeting with Dr. Areria on May 4th to discuss the stem cell transplant and I'm sure all the tests she has ordered. Hopefully, nothing bad has come up such as the bone marrow biopsy, and the stem cell transplant with continue. I will keep everyone informed as soon as I know the results.

I meet with the coordinator at Stanford on Wednesday to sign all the consent forms. I remember the feeling I had when I had to sign the consent forms for the heart transplant. The lump in my throat was huge! Mom and I sat there in a daze thinking what is this woman talking about "a heart transplant". Mark, Gary and Debbie walked in shortly after and I will always remember the look on Debbie's face. It was like she was caught in a dream and this was not happening. I kept saying to them all "is she saying heart transplant for me". I felt like I was dreaming. But of course it was true and my life changed forever that day. I have always felt I was given a second chance at life but sometimes it can be so overwhelming to think I have someone else's heart in my body. But as I have said I am blessed!! I will never forget and will always be grateful to Jazmin's family for the decision they made that night to save my life.

And now I move on to the next step in my recovery. The stem cell transplant will not be a cake walk. I am not afraid and find it a challenge I am willing to take on. I want to fight the disease and win! I want a complete response from the stem cell transplant. I realize that I may have to do other things to achieve that but I am willing to do whatever it takes to have a "new normal life".

I want to travel again to Italy next year. I want to sit on the top deck of the Seabourn Legend and feel the ocean breeze slip by. I want to go outside at night on the deck and see the darkness and the waves crashing next to the ship as we sail along. Oh and the stars! What a beautiful sight! Almost a year ago I enjoyed a beautiful cruise to the Spanish Isles. I knew what was waiting for me back home. The dreaded answer to what was causing me to feel so sick. But at that moment in time I only wanted to experience the moment in time enjoying my wonderful cruise. I told the doctors I would deal with my situation when I returned. I'm glad I did because I would not have enjoyed the trip if I knew what I was faced with before. Things always work out for the best at the time!

Don't have much plan this weekend. Get to have my hair cut and dye for the last time before it all falls out next month. I'm ok with it. I'm worried that they will not let me dye it when it starts growing back in and I refuse to go gray. So we will have to wait and see. I just might have to wear my cute wig longer than I thought. I want to take a ride to Potter Valley on Sunday to visit Mark's Mom. She sounded so great the other day we talked. She is eating well again and feels much better. God bless her! We will then stop by the Schapmire's in Ukiah and visit shortly. I haven't seen Grandpa or Grandma Schapmire since I had the heart transplant and I thought it would be nice to say hi.

Have a wonderful weekend!

REMEMBER YESTERDAY,
DREAM ABOUT TOMORROW,
BUT LIVE TODAY!
Love,
Debbie

No comments: