Tuesday, December 9, 2008

ONE WORD DESCRIBES THIS DAY - GRATEFUL


What does it feel like to be in a room with 30 heart transplant recipients ranging from transplant date of 1987 to October 31, 2008. One word - Grateful!!!

The word has such a strong meaning to me now. I am so grateful for the life I have been given to live and grateful to a beautiful family who gave me life.

What I saw today was people living their lives to the fullest. Each knows how close death was and realize how valuable life is. I can see it in the faces of each and every one of them. That is how I will live my life - to the fullest.
My dreams and goals for the future include more traveling. I want to go back to Sicily and knock on the family's door and speak italiano (parlare italiano). I want to sleep in a little village there and wake up the next morning and go to a small cafe and have caffe with the villagers. I want to see Washington DC, Yosemite, the liberty bell, The Lincoln Memorial, and Niagara Falls. I want to go to Toronto Canada to the Hockey Hall of Fame and then to Innisfil to see Maxwell play hockey. I want to see my first grandchild born and enjoy being a grandma.
When you are faced with a sudden illness, you begin to think about what is important. I now realize what is important - health, happiness and life. What is important in your life and what are you grateful for? Don't let a day go by wasted. Enjoy every moment in time!
Today was alot of fun! I saw Tippi, Kevin, John, Matt and Michael. All my heart transplant friends. We were treated to a catered lunch. Dr. Dana did the introductions and each of us were called one by one and presented with T-shirts from the heart transplant center. We took pictures with the heart transplant doctors and one big group picture. I was able to see Christine from Stanford, who took care of me after the heart transplant. This was the first time she had seen me since I left Stanford. It was a very happy meeting! I wish we could see our heart transplant surgeons again but what I'm told is that they are very busy. God bless them!
Dr. Dana also introduced us to two ladies from the Donor Procurement Center. I was able to talk to Lori after the meeting. She was overwhelmed by the contrast between her work with donor families and being with the heart transplant recipients. Donate Life was their message and they gave all of us wrist bands, key chains and book markers. They expressed that we are the ones who can pass the word to others about donation. Tell our stories and ask everyone to become a donor.
Every moment I spend with my heart transplant friends, the heart transplant doctors and nurses warms my new shared heart. They are miracle workers and God bless them.
Have a wonderful evening and enjoy every moment in time!
love,
debbie


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie

I am so glad you had such a wonderful day. YOU DESERVE IT.... Enjoy each and every day. Do whatever makes you happy. As I have said before I am so proud of you. Remember God only gives us what we can handle. I hope you are feeling better I know the chemo is no fun but its to help you and you are a strong person. I hope to see you soon I love you very much you are always in my thoughts and prayers. You take care I love reading your blog you write so beautifully.

HUGS AND LOTS OF KISSES,

Auntie Mary Joan