Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Just Call Me "Nana"

My little grandson was born this morning at 9:54AM. He weighed 7 pounds 15 ounces and measured 21 inches long. His name is Mark Aaron Douglas. He is absolutely beautiful!!

My wish came true today! A year and half ago, I met with the heart transplant doctors to find out I needed a new heart or I would die in 30 days. Some of you might not have known this fact but I had only 30 days to live. Thank God and thank you to my donor family and Jazmin for saving my life and giving me this moment. Without them I would not be here to celebrate these moments in time.

Tonight I went to the hospital for a quick visit and got to hold Little Markie for the first time. But first the moment that took my breath away was walking into the room and seeing my oldest son, Mark, holding his son in his arms. What a moment! To hold little Markie in my arms made me feel "FREE". I felt like a hundred pounds was lifted off my shoulders. I feel so good inside.

I want to thank my daughter, Erin for the beautiful grandson. She did so good today. She started her contractions about 5 this morning and had little Markie just before 10:00AM. She was amazing! I quickly said to her "you did so well, when is the next one coming". Just kidding!
I want to enjoy Little Markie and make moments with him.

I will have pictures to share as soon as I get my camera back from Mark. I got to the hospital and Mark said he forgot the camera in the car. I said "Here's my camera". So I have to wait and get pictures then. Oh but I heard my sister, Kathy has already posted his picture on her facebook. Thanks sissy for doing that! I know there are so many people (friends and family) that have waited for this moment. Everyone knew how important this was for me! I remember being taken to the operating room the night I had my heart transplant and telling the doctors to just keep me alive long enough to be a "grandma". Thank you to those doctors at Kaiser and Stanford for saving my life!!

This is the most wonderful day of my life and one I will never forget.

Love,
Debbie

1 comment:

Heather and Marie said...

Hey Debbie its Heather!
I am so excited to hear about the birth of your baby grandson! :) tell Erin and Mark congrats and that I'm very excited for them!
Love you!

:)